Middelpos trip 16 & 17 May : Extreme Conditions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
We had one of  the most testing trips on a normally relaxed route, the 3 KTM's and their riders were put to tests of driving skill and courage to complete in severe rain end extremely low temperatures. But, we decided to do the trip so we left on Saturday (16th) at 7h00... :eek7:

First stage Ceres to Clanwilliam : Mostly tar with strong northwesterly from our left and rain almost the whole route. Middelberg and Buffelshoek Passes were very wet and slippery and we were thankful for the N7 to Clanwilliam.
Second stage Clanwilliam to Doringbos Farm : On the Calvinia road from Clanwilliam they are busy to tar the first 40km so the preparation made it quite slippery and I was granted my first flat rear tyre in the middle of a very rainy Pakhuis Pass. At Doringbos we spent about 2 hours drying a little and having a quick lunch.
Third stage Doringbos to Calvinia : We realized how Botterkloof Pass got its name...unfortunately the rest of the road towards the last 30km of tar to Calvinia wasn't any better. If you want to practice your skill in muddy and slippery wet roads this was the section to come and do it, riding anything from 40-70 km/h. We arrived at Calvinia Hotel and immediately had 2 glasses of Hanepoot to warm from the inside as everything was very wet by now, and it started getting cold with and we had the last section for the day to Middelpos still to come.
Fourth stage Calvinia to Middelpos : A little bit of tar and then good gravel with slippery parts surprizing us all the way, needing to slow down from 120 - 60 km/h very quickly! Then our second flat rear tyre, only difference was no rain but an extremely strong(and freezing) wind. Needless to say that Middelpos Hotel was much appreciated, we spent the night here. Sadly I had the unpleasant surprize of my second flat rear tyre in the morning.
Fifth stage Middelpos to Sutherland : We decided to ride to Sutherland instead of down Gannaga Pass(It was reported to be too slippery even for us  :biggrin:) and then take the tar from there back to Ceres. But we had to get there first, 80km of what we by now started to enjoy, very slippery mud and gravel AND my third flat rear for the trip. Finding the bugger that f@#&%ed me around in one of the knobblies : a stone as big as a dice! Then we got to Sutherland Hotel and had lunch with a fireplace AND tar all the way home!
Last stage Sutherland to Ceres : Besides a strong wind we moved to Ceres and arrived without getting wet.

738 km of realy interesting riding was finished and we knew why we were bikers : the adventure was unbelievable and yet another challenge we wanted and completed. Needless to say I didnt make the 20h00  MNet movie last night!  :dousing:

Attached is the route, so watch the weather and try this one as soon as it starts raining!  :thumleft:

Attachments

• 16 - 17 Mei 2009.gdb
    54.8 KB · Views: 39