Minxy's best brother

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
This is probably more of a ride report then an introduction, but this was my introduction into biking, and I'd like to share it.

Most of you must probably know my sister Minxy by now, and after months of nagging she's finally convinced me to get a bike...

And wow! I didn't know it would be this much fun!
First off, a big thank you to Gary Whitehouse for a bike purchase that was easier and faster then hopping out for a loaf of bread.
It might just be a 2003 KTM 640 Adventure but to me it's a new world excitement.

I currently live in Lephalale and getting the bike home was the first real challenge for me. I had less then a weekend to sort out my bike and gear. Worst of all, I had less then a weekend to learn how to drive with a 300 km solo journey ahead of me. Having only ever driven a automatic scooter before I knew I was in for a rough weekend with the bike being in Pretoria and me being too hard headed to have it trailed home, or god forbid, driven home for me.

Friday I knocked off work early and went off to PTA with a friend where I met up with Minxy and HSK. That evening we stopped by Gary quick to sort the final details quick and took off so fast the cops would think we stole it due to how fast the weather was picking up. At this point I was sitting on the back of the bakkie with the bike, cuddling with it, in an effort not to freeze in the downpour.

Most of Saturday morning was spent in the shops, getting to know some people and getting the majority of my gear sorted before my training (safety first!). At this point Minxy was probably 10x more excited then I was to get me started. We drove off to some steep hills and quiet roads in Pretoria (I'm clueless. I have no idea where I was) and I got started. After 15 minutes of me trying to learn how to pull away the dread was clear on everyone's faces. I was going to die. Luckily things fell in place and I started to grasp the basics before we went back home, this time with me braving the streets of Pretoria. I knew how to get it to 3rd at this point so I guess that's good enough right?

Sunday I was up early to pack my bags and say goodbye to my loved ones. Thankfully HSK had an amazing idea to have a breakfast drive with the bakkie almost all the way up to Nylstroom. I only stalled the bike once on the way to the highway so I was surging with confidence at this point. Thankfully the rest of the way was uneventful. I had a nice ride. I had a happy ride. Me and the bike bonded. I've never been one for nicknames, but this silver KTM already got one, Orange.

So back to introductions... I'm currently employed as a graphic designer at a local paper in Lephalale, and a big fan of the outdoors with frequent hiking trails and jogging almost every day.

And back to important matters. Within 10 minutes of seeing the 640 my friend knew what he was missing in his life. Please let me know of any nice deals for adventure bikes so I can forward them to him. This hobby truly is contagious.