My first (almost) 1000 k's with the Lifan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailBlazer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I'm coming up to the 1000k mark with the bike now, and as yet have had no problems.

It took a little getting used to, but considering that I hadn't ridden for almost 16 years this was to be understood. I think for the first 500 k or so I was doing square corners, but  gradually started learning to lie down. Hell, it makes a difference  :)

Average fuel consumption is around 32 km/l, and that is for commuting. Granted, I work shifts, so it's not in peak traffic, but I manage to average between 15 - 20 minutes for an 18km trip.

Bobnob, you wanted to know about any probs / issues... at this stage I can't say there are any.

The chain was a bit too tight, and a mate helped me adjust it. The ride is a lot more comfortable, but still a little on the rough side on our (muchly patched) maploter-type tar roads. It almost feels as though the rear wheel is losing grip, and I can hear the revs pick up slightly as I'm bouncing. Maybe the spring tension on the rear shock is too high... Any ideas anyone?

I will soon be looking for a new rear tyre, but don't want one of these cheap nylon compound types, as they seem to wear quickly. I've been quoted between R360 and 480 for a 'claw-action' 4.10 x 18.  Any suggestions guys? The last time I had to fit tyres was on a Honda XL185S, about 17 years back, and the pattern I remember (as well as reasonable grip) was a block pattern that pretty much covered the whole running surface of the tyre (can't rememer the name), but I haven't seen these in ages.

Another minor hassle is that the bike feels as though it wants to bog down when pulling away in 1st. Almost the same feeling that I get when trying to drive off in 2nd in my bakkie. Once I get about 3k revs on the clock it's okay, but lower than that and I want to start pedalling. It's for this reason that I don't split lanes unless there's a truck ahead of me, that I know I'll be able to beat at pull-off.  I won't chance it with a car. I haven't checked sprocket ratios yet, but maybe 1 tooth less up front, or 1-2 teeth more on the rear would improve the situation here.  Once again, any ideas please...

Bobnob, if you're up this way anytime soon, feel free to contact me... you're welcome to take if for a ride if it helps you decide what to buy for the missus.

In advance, thanks for any / all advice

Happy / safe riding