My first puncture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisasterRelief

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi Dogs,

On a trip over this weekend, I had my first puncture. I picked up an old rusty nail that punctured my rear Mitas E07+ on a Yamaha XT660Z. The reason for this post is to go over the process I followed and highlight some of the issues I encountered whilst changing the tube with the hope for some feedback from more experienced members. I have only once before changed tyres myself. This was in my garage, with an ample supply of cold beer and a relatively clean working environment.

Process:
1. Getting the wheel off. Nothing too challenging. Used the inner bag of my ATG Overlander soft pannier bags to place the sprocket, cush rubbers, axel and nut on.
2. Braking the bead. At this point I realised that I need something to work on due to being on a dirt road. I sacrificed my jacket as it is quite old and dirty already. Used a bead breaker I bought from Flying Brick. Worked fairly easy.
3. Getting the bead over the rim. Used a set of 400mm tyre levers. Im not sure how tough the E07+ is compared to other tyres, but managed to get it over the rim. I would not want to try it with shorter tyre levers though.
4. Replacing the tube. Since I had a spare, I simply removed the old one and started pushing in the new one. Used the little cable valve puller to get the valve through the hole in the rim. This is an essential piece of equipment.
5. Getting the bead back over the rim. This was a lot tougher than getting it off and I don't know if you can damage the tyre in this process. In the end I lubricated it with a bit of engine oil. Luckily I had some with me as my bike tends to use a bit of oil.
6. Inflating and getting bead to seat properly. Used an AirMan compressor. This was a major issue. Up to this point about 40 minutes have elapsed. I inflated the tyre to about 2 bar, but it did not seat evenly. I deflated and tried again several times, taking the pressure up to almost 3 bar without success. I broke the bead completely again and started applying a bit of oil and tried again several times without luck. In the end I applied A LOT of oil to the bead and ended up pushing the pressure up to just over 3 bar before it finally seated properly. I had to stop midway through the process to allow the compressor to cool down first before continuing.
7. Putting the wheel back on. A bit of a pain, but managed without too much hassle. Despite sacrificing my jacket, there was still a lot of dust on and inside the wheel bearings which I tried to clean out as best I could.

Total time: 2 hours, 21 minutes.

The major issues:
1. I needed some sort of tarp or other ground covering to work on. Must be something that can be packed fairly small though.
2. Although I got the bead seated in the end, a lot of oil was needed and I'm not sure how hard you can really push those little AirMan compressors. It takes some time to get the tyre up to pressure and the thing gets quite hot. If it breaks, then I would be kind of screwed.

Any issues or suggestions to make the job a bit easier?

Cheers,

DR

Attachments

• Tyre Repair 1.jpeg
    Tyre Repair 1.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 592
  • Tyre repair 2.jpeg
    Tyre repair 2.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 585
  • Compressor.jpeg
    Compressor.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 589