My trip on a 790R.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Myself and a few friends took a trip from Durban, first stop was Maclear mostly tar and only a bit of dirt going through the Oribi gorge area about 450km in total. It was about 42C so the ride wasn’t much fun.

From Maclear we went over Naude’s neck pass through Rhodes and down to Dordrecht basically all dirt and about 350km. We actually thought it was only about 50km to go when we got to Rhodes but our navigation skills sucked so we still had 200km more on dirt but it was fun. Going up Naude’s it was raining and the mud was hectic, the orange mud was very slippery and I got the 790 sideways a few times.

From Dordrecht we went to Graaff-Reinet a short ride but once again 40C plus and heavy winds sucked a lot of fun out of it.
We spent a few days in Graaff-Reinet and didn’t ride much, everyday was about 40C and very dry. All the locals we came across asked where the mud came from as they hadn’t seen rain in ages. We couldn’t even was the mud off the bikes because of the water shortage.

From Graaff-Reinet it was a short dirt ride to the start of Baviaans pass where we spent the night at a nice spot in the mountains.
The next day we took on Baviaans pass, it was a tough ride but very nice, even washed some mud off in the river crossings. The last bit is narrow and with tricky when you have to ride on the washed away concrete twee spore sections. We stopped for the night just outside Jeffries Bay.

Next day was tar to Plettenberg Bay where we spent the next four nights.
Day one we just rode tar down the coast to Knysna and Sedgfield.
Day three we had a nine pass day.from Plettenberg bay we went up Prince Alfred pass stopping at Angies G Spot and then on to Montagu pass and through George and onto the Seven pass road. We expected a bit more from the Seven pass road but it wasn’t technical at all but still a nice ride.
We put two of the bikes on the trailer for the trek home via East London. Pity we had to head home but we unfortunately have to work.