Namibia is hot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMG

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
UNNAM, the University of Namibia, invited me to lecture for two weeks to the students of their newly created Security and Strategic Studies Centre.  The deal that I made with UNNAM was that I wanted to “drive” to Namibia and they needed to pay me the air ticket in cash.  Instead, back at the ranch, I was planning the biking thing.

These were the knowns. From the outset, I was sure that, firstly, I will have to cover a lot of distance in a short time and, secondly, I also wanted to do some gravel riding in Nam.  Thirdly, it is February and it will be hot.  Fourthly, I have done the typical western tourists route, i.e. Ais-Ais, Sesriem, Walvis etc, in the past and that I wanted to see the eastern part.

I consulted the expert on Namibia, ChrisL, on some of the roads in the south-east.  He provided some good solid advice.  
Going to Windhoek, I had three days – Friday to Sunday.  Coming back, I only had two days to do the Windhoek Saldanha thing.  Because of the distance on tar that I had to cover, I opted for dual-purpose tyres.

I also had to take my labtop, some study material and none-riding clothing along.  Thus, I left my tent etc and opted for guest houses to keep the weight down.

Namibia001_zps9cdbd0de.jpg

I left Friday morning just after the twins had their breakfast.  This is an indication of the speed & pace on the West Coast.

Namibia005_zpsfaca3a85.jpg

First turnoff!

Namibia006_zps4f1321b8.jpg

First biological stop – on the Elandsbaai Bridge.  

Namibia007_zps7fc2ae92.jpg

Toe raak dit mos besig in Leipoldtville se hoofstraat.

Namibia008_zps6c2ac340.jpg

The more refined name for a naaister.  I believe this is a dying occupation & trade.

Namibia010_zps00531268.jpg

How many children has been baptised in this church?  And I can see them standing with their long serious faces singing Prijs de Heer met blijde galme . . .

Namibia011_zps3238adf7.jpg

Lunch in Garies.  Die dorpskatte is spekvet.

Namibia013_zpsc2a8a5b3.jpg

Did I mention that it was freaking hot.  Wanted to stop for a beer in Kamieskroon.  But the Hotel closes over lunchtime – seriously!

Namibia015_zps3d1cc4c4.jpg

Since I knew that it will be hot in Noordoewer, where I wanted to sleep over, I decided to stick around in Springbok for a couple of beers.  Can’t remember the name of the restaurant in the middle of town, but the burger was good, the beer even better and the accents absolutely unbelievably beautiful.

Had a lot of sh@t on the border. UNNAM should have arranged a working visa, which they haven’t done.  Had to make a couple of phone calls.  Eventually, they said to me they will allow me entry for five days to sort it out in Windhoek.  I didn’t care – five days will take me to Windhoek and then they can sort it out.  Not my problem.  It will become my problem if UNNAM cannot pay me because of the lack of a working visa.  Until that time, I’ll continue my journey in peace.  The sun setting in Noordoewer.

Namibia017_zps36d57926.jpg

To be continued . . .