Never made it to Merweville (Had an adventure none the less)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pathfinder

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Planning

On Monday morning 4 July 2011 I saw a fantastic weather report for Cape Town for the coming weekend.  With the school holiday in full swing getting out of the city seemed like a great idea.  I posted the weather report on Wild dogs forum and thought maybe I’ll get 1 or 2 guys to join.
To my surprise there was good interest and planning got very serious.  ROV Rat took initiative to sort out the accommodation and the rest of the group psyched each other up.  There were also tears from those who could not make it.
Rixi my lovely regular pillion also got very excited about the idea of visiting Merweville.  Turns out she went to school there and really wanted to see the old town again.

D Day (9 July 2011)

Rixi and I started the morning with coffee and packing the last bits.  At 8h00 sharp we left Somerset West and headed towards Ceres from where we would head north and hit the dirt.  After a hearty breakfast and hot cup of coffee in Ceres we headed north at a steady but relaxed pace.  Rixi complaining now and then if I went faster than 130km/h on the dirt and me thinking that we need to get to Merweville before the sun sets (Not fond of dirt roads in the dark).

Tankwa Padstal

I planned to go north and travel via Tankwa Karoo Park to Middelpos and then back to Sutherland and on to Merweville.  Not long into the dirt section of the trip we passed a lone KLR 650 going at a leisurely pace.  A wave and thumbs-up and a couple of seconds later he was just a black spec in my mirrors.  As I was thinking and planning the route ahead we passed the new Tankwa Padstal.  Like any normal trip with a lady pillion, I was ordered to turn back.