New battery charged before installing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

africana

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
After replacing the battery second time in less than 3 months the following for clarification from the technical dogs please.

My 990 swings once but does not start. All lights, etc on but 1 swing and that's that. Every time I take it in to have it looked after and costing plenty bucks, no problem can be found - everything works properly. Second person took the bike and charged the battery up to 100% on Saturday, and every morning there after, the battery kept it's 100% charge and the bike starts like nothing is wrong. He could not find any problems either - everything works as it should. Deduction 2nd person made is that the battery was not fully charged before having been installed previously. As the 100% charge is kept after it is started  every morning for 4 consecutive days, he figured there is no short either or else the charge would be less every morning.

Conclusion then that the battery should have been charged fully before having installed it. The new bikes are made with alternators to keep the charge of battery but not to load it. So if  I start running the battery @95%, ride it, use say for arguments sake 5% battery power then 90% is left. Next days riding again takes another  5% so now on 85% and so we go on until no more power to keep battery on 100% or the bike from starting normally. I have found conflicting reaction when asking if this is correct. 2nd person did not charge me anything.

Is the correct assumption to make then that the battery should have been fully charged to start off with? Never heard of this before. (Sidestand switch also checked as I have read on the WD forum some riders have problems with that) Thanks for the responses.