New F800GS or used R1200GS LC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corp

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I was on the forum. I sold my 2013 F800GS in 2014. I just couldn't ride anymore due to some health issues and missed riding it everyday since.

I am finally ready to buy another motorcycle but I don't know what I want more (see topic). Each has pros and cons.

Since the last motorcycle I have moved to Gauteng from the Free State. Distances to travel to work are further (Lonehill to Pretoria 40km so about 80km round trip per day). My bike will be used everyday otherwise I see no point. The R1200GS is the better option for this and the 5-10% off road riding I will do isn't as extreme as I would like but, as most riders will do, I will see a trail and decide I will ride there irrespective of what it holds. I don't ride with panniers. If I go somewhere for the weekend, it was always soft luggage, one up and off I go. 

I know the F800GS will be better off road  but I will be doing so much tar riding that I think the times I use its full off road potential, or even 3 quarters of it, will never be utilised. Plus I only want knobby tyres on the F800GS and those will wear quickly at 80km a day on tar. I will be be okay will stock tyres on the R1200GS (excluding summer months then I will force myself with some knobby tyres  ;D ).

I have no experience with the R1200GS and this section might be a bit biased but all opinions are sources of information that I will use to help make my decision.

I want a capable bike that will be primarily used for riding the tar rivers of Gauteng but will gladly go off the beaten track onto single trails, hills, fields, Jeep trails and etc whenever I decide to explore. 

The R1200GS seems like it could be a good choice but for the same price that I am looking at for a used 2014/2015 model with about 20000km I can get a new F800GS (yes, I want all the fancy electronics each has to offer too especially on the 1200). I just worry about buying a used bike (never have before) and the R1200GS being too heavy for me especially if I decide to ride rougher trails than I should on an R1200GS (nothing enduro crazy). Did I mention I missed riding my F800GS everyday after selling it?

I am 1.8m tall and weigh about 90kg plus I am trying to remain age conscious at a young 31 if this is important.

I look forward riding again so please help me make the right decision....I am heading to a BMW Motorrad now to go talent scouting.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk