New TW200 to become my Hollow-Mod commuter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Paynter

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
So I've had an eye out for Tdubs for a long while, I registered over on their forum back in 2011 and lurked for a long time and in the interim have had a bunch of other bikes and excuses not to get one.

Recently my long-suffering SR 250 has started having more and more issues, starter motor, fork seals etc etc, partly because it's an ex-delivery bike with about 140 000kms on it, and partly because whilst I was renovating my new house it lived outside in the sea air and I had none of my tools to do so much as tighten a chain, so it has languished, but she battled on.
As we all know they're pretty bullet proof but she is showing her age, and costing more than she's worth (to me) so I will be flogging her. I wanted to get a little tracker/scrambler custom going but with electrical gremlins and a bunch of stuff going wrong at once, I have decided to start with something a little more manageable.

The constant issues with my Sr put me in the lovely position of my better half INSISTING I investigate something more reliable soI have invested in a new TW 200 for my very short commute to work, which I will convert to a  custom hollow-mod in the next few months to serve as my cheap, reliable commute moving forward.

Inspired all over again by seeing Braams' mates' hollow mod earlier this year https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=121101.0 (Why do I keep blaming Braam?) the choice in cheap, new commuter was a fairly easy one.

So, here she is...
IMG-20131002-00876.jpg

Here she is with her better-looking older sister...
Tdubs.jpg

Tdubs2.jpg

So the plan at this point is to take it easy, run her in and get the 1000km service in just in case any obvious warranty-issues arise and then start a hollow-mod process as time and budget allow.
The trick will be balancing budget between this and the CB500 restoration, but that was also a big factor in modding something new, as there should be far less nasty surprises as i strip bits off her and add other bits.