This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torino187

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi All,

I've just been bitten badly by the bike bug,  currently using a Jonway Yesterday SI 150cc as a run-around and sometimes use it to work  (25KMs).

I've done the BMW Ryder Academy - Introduction to Motorcycling which made me certain about my love for two wheels.

I fell in love with the BMW F800 GS at the academy and this has swayed me away from my first love which is the Harley Davidson V-Rod.
I couldn’t believe how easy it was to ride it as compared to the V-Rod.  I rode a Harley around a block and couldn’t believe how heavy it was.
At the academy,  I rode the GS F800,  GS 650,GS R1200 and even the RR S1000. 

I'm not a fan of the GS' looks but the overall package is superior to all my options based on service intervals, costs and because my car is a BMW.  Most of my mates are on superbikes and a few on Harleys but I'm not that keen to ride in a group.  I want to get my wife involved (not riding though) so that we can do breakfast runs, etc.  I managed to convince her to get a bigger bike and she agreed as long as it wasn’t a superbike.

I would like to use the bike as a commuter and a weekend bike. 
I like the VROD for its styling, good looks, sound and lifestyle.  The GS for its maintenance costs, easy ride and lifestyle.
The VROD I will need to finance but the GS I can buy cash If I saved  for another few months.

Which one would be the best bike for me?  The V-Rod or the GS?