Noob Progress Report...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudCakedFace

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
This will be my first post after the intro a couple of months ago. At the time I was a complete noob, having never ridden a bike (like, never-ever, ever). Three events have seen me go from this precarious state to feeling confident enough to ride a bike in [mild, non-peak] traffic and on pretty much any gravel road a sedan (non-rental of course) can be driven on...

Warning: No pics (Pom might not like what I've done to his project bike  >:D)

Event 1: Buy Appropriate Bike: Check
Having initially dreamt of a KTM 640A, I realised quickly that three things make this a silly choice:
1) It's my first bike
2) I will drop it ::)
3) I will face eternal damnation for all the hashed shifts
So, after harassing the local KTM shop for weeks on end, I decided to find something slightly more appropriate. Call it fluke, call it divine intervention. I call it 'Wilddog Classifieds'. PistolPete decided to sell Pom's project bike, an '85 XT600 Tenere, and was willing to let it fall into my sweaty paws. "Clutch on left, brake on right - clutch on left, brake on right" I thought as I moved it into its designated spot in my garage. And forgot to put the side-stand back down. My ego still hurts when I look at the dent in my lawnmower.

Anycase, PistolPete (awesome guy) shared a couple of beers on the night of the viewing, but failed to mention the 1st trick with kick-starting a big thumper (or any kick-start engine, for that matter). Don't twist the throttle. At all. No, not even when you're at an intersection holding up the traffic... :imaposer: Come to think of it, I really can't blame him for not realising I'm SUCH a noob!

Event 2: Novice Rider Training: Check
The guys at BMW rider academy (Zwartkops) really are the [wild]dogs' balls. I've seen a couple of postings on what the course entails (here or at the BMW Motorrad forum), but from my personal experience: They took me from not being confident enough to even ride the bike around the  complex, to actually riding through for the 2nd day of training. Let's not elaborate on the fact that I left Fourways at 05:00 to miss traffic, or that I managed to bounce all the way over a fairly mayor intersection as I tried to find the balance between clutch and throttle. These guys rock  :thumleft:

Event 3: Complete "long" mixed surface trip: Check
Having done "extensive" gravel around Lanseria/Northern Farms/Mnandi, I had the opportunity to visit with friends near Moloto. This kinda forced the decision to do a longer trip and test my confidence in traffic. The plan was to ride the bike there (unfortunately in the dark on a Friday evening, but luckily with a following vehicle), play on the farm a bit and take as many gravel roads coming back. I am happy to report that I never came off, though I did end up with my shoulder securely stuck in a thorn bush. A case of "Look there, go there"? Aye Tink Soh!

I have discovered a number of truths (I'm a noob, bear with me):
1) A bike will out run most cars on gravel. Heck, I can even outrun cars on gravel, as long as the road remains straight
2) Buffalo are not fond of bikes (see point 1 above, replace "car" with "buffalo")
3) Look There, Go There [Fall There]
4) An XT600 Tenere in canary yellow is one of the best forecourt conversation pieces you can find.

So next steps? I need to hook up with a couple of other noobs and do a supervised reconnaissance of Cradle/Magalies. Anyone keen for the weekend of 29/30th Aug?

Ciao, and thanks for reading!

[and then he posts in Planning a Ride...%$^#^&] Mods, please move to Ride Reports?