Numb Butt Day rides out of Cape Town - Ideas, routes, advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilspill

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
My fun is what I call "Numb-butt" day rides out  of Cape Town taking in as much gravel and twisty passes as possible, doing about 300 or more km in 4 or 5 hrs  and getting back home before the family misses me.  The idea is to ride and ride and ride, one stop for a meal and refuel,  maybe one more to "refresh" with beer or a coke.   Only other stop is at a top of a pass or under one of those lovely big blue-gum's to absorb the view, the nothingness and get  out of the heat for a bit. Sometimes I ride on a Sunday but usually on a Saturday morning.    Occasionally I ride with a friend but usually alone because  stopping every five minutes, lots of rules and expectations, long meals and taking the whole day to do 100km is not my scene.    Also most people want to stop overnight if the ride is very long but for me that is not possible due to family commitments.  

Some questions:  

1.   Anyone got any ideas for such day rides, nice routes, or useful links of other WD doing similar rides for ideas?

2. Wolseley Sandspruit route to Bains Kloof - is this possible/passable?:    Last weekend I did a big loop taking in as much dirt and back roads via Malmesbury, Morressburg, Gouda, Tulbach, Wolseley, Slanghoek, Dutoits and back home.   The Waterval dirt bit from Tulbach to Wolsely was nice.   However I was unsure about the dirt route from Wolseley to Bains Kloof and therefore did not try it.  Is this possible, does it go over private property, do the owners mind? and is the bridge over the Sandspruit (instead of going along the R43 then over the Breede River) possible.?  I heard the bridge was down.

Thanks kind people