OCTANE SETTINGS TO PREVENT PINGING

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRUTUS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi dogs.

Thought I need to report on this matter.

Two weeks ago my wife and I did a trip to the lowveld. We left Pretoria at +- 16degC with my GS heavily loaded. Top box and two panniers full. As we reached the T junction at the end of the Schoemanskloof road towards Nelspruit, the ambient temp got to 30degC. I started to notice my bike pinging every time I rolled on the power. This pinging was present before but went away after fitting the accelerator modulator.

We reached our destination in White River and offloaded the weight. Took for the bike for a run to Sabie and the pinging was gone. The Sunday on our way back with the load on, I had the same problem again.

Took my bike to BMW Zambezi and they adjusted the bike on the computer from a 95 to a 91 octane, plus as I believe, the timing was retarded. They mentioned that they only recently discovered that the 2010/ 2011 models had this problem and that by setting the octane lower, the problem gets solved.
I got my bike back but it was quite sluggish. Got home and put the accelerator modulator back on and my bike was pulling great again.

Subsequently I have loaded the bike up again and went on a trip north to Tzaneen with similar weight and and temperature. This time no pinging and the bike pulled great.

So if there is some of you with a similar problem, it may be worth your while to have it looked at.

Also there was a recall on my bike for the replacement of a timing device in the cams. I was never notified of this  until I took it in. If you ride a 2010/2011 GS/GSA it may be worth your while to check it out.