Oil burner rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovan paton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
My bike has used oil since I got her  with just over 1200km or so. I always said I would 're build her at 30000km.

On past trips at 5000rpm I would use 500ml to every 350km. But only if I kept it there for long sections. Did a 2500km trip in April  and trying to keep up to the big boys I was using 500ml to every 100km  :biggrin:

So it was time, with 37000km on the clock. I was not aloud to ride for two months,  dew to the big hole I got from a pimple in my head.  If you got a strong stomach,  I put a report on that a few weeks back, you can go find the pics.

I stripped the head and barrel, with the intentions of sending it to lecap or docklr to do the work on the head and barrel. But I was not willing to pay the R2500 courier chargers I was quoted,  that was just for one way. It's a bugger staying out in the sticks.

So I went to Kawasaki in umlanga to see who they use. Alpa macdelta in pine town was where they sent all their work. I gave them a call, the barrel was not a problem,  but they could not do my head. Alec, at alpa mcdelta sugested Duckam motors in pmb. Now im 200km from pmb. So round trip of 400km.

Lucky for me,  or unlucky for him. My brother in law just got retrenched, so I hired him to be my driver for this project. He did 3 trips to Kawasaki for parts, 2 to pine town and 3 to pmb.  Kept him busy and my wife happy.  :pot:

So after two month's I got all my parts back, I was in no hurry  ;D and read the manual 10 times over.... I am I millwright and work on mc that cost R150 million a piece and R30000 every hour they stand, and working on my klr had me loosing sleep.  :peepwall: i went and got my self a new torque wrench, 6nm to 30nm and liberated a friend's big one for the final torque on the head bolts.  Might return it......