Oil Sludge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeftyCrab

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
So my little 125cc Honda E-storm is nearing 14000km and its time for an oil change. For a bit of background info, I have a 20km round trip commute come rain or sunshine, do short trips to the shops and a 100km round trip now and then. I change the oil every 3000KM (sometimes quicker, but never later) according to Honda's recommendation and have used Castrol Gtx 20w50 (was under the impression that its good for air-cooled bikes having a w50). Bike runs like a champ and has never used oil or given me one problem.

I know these little 125cc air-cooled motors are tough on oil with their continuous high revs. The thing is ive noticed sludge in the oil when I take the dipstick out to check the oil level, and this is not the first time that ive noticed this. At first I thought some water got into the oil some how, but then I read Le Cap's description of oil sludge on here and am convinced its sludge. I now want to change to another oil.

I was thinking maby a nice diesel oil to clear out any sludge buildup such as Delo 400, otherwise was looking at Actevo or equivalents (No Mobil 1 please  :imaposer:) Is Delo 400 still safe to use? Iver read on www.bobistheoilguy.com that the formula changed a while back.

Im not thinking drastic action like engine flushes,etc. Also, please don't make this a CAR vs BIKE oil thread. :thumleft: TIA!!!!!