Oils

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony W

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I know this is always a sensitive issue but here goes anyway. I am a firm believer in using good motorcycle oils and I have a situation that once again confirms my belief.
I have just stripped a 250 4stroke mx bike that has been used in regional enduro's and as a weekend playbike, since the owner bought the bike in November 2006 it has been ridden every weekend.
I was supplied with a box of new spares to install which included a piston kit, valves, conrod kit, clutch plates and main bearings. I reckon the guy wasted a lot of money on unnecessary spares. The piston showed a bit of wear, but not excessive, remember these things rev to 13000 rpm so a bit of piston wear is to be expected. The piston could have gone right back in  with a new set of rings. The conrod, big end and main bearings looked good as new. The valves were showing a bit of wear on the seating face but this is not affected by the engine oil, these are Titanium so do not last as long as regular valves and the clutch plates showed a bit of wear.
Considering riding conditions in Cape Town being mostly sandy terrain, this little bike would have taken a lot of abuse, considering the lack of wear I can honestly say I am very impressed with the PJ1 oil that was changed on a monthly basis. I reckon I will just stock the range , especially seeing as the distributor is based in Cape Town.