Ok Chaps, here is the story of the 990.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atkinse

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
As you might know I have always been Mr Yamaha and still swear by them. In November I moved to the UAE only to find that Yamaha have the most pathetic sales and service known to man. No XT 660’s and no XT 1200 imported, I can get a YZ450 brand new 2010 model –WTF.
Anyway next option, what is available – The Orange. Nice Showroom, good service and backup ect.
So off I go and get myself a 2012 500 EXC, very nice bike, the fuel injection is super, get FMF, race-tech suspension part and scotts damper, ordered and delivered to my door in a week, lovely.
IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Can get Rhino from Yamaha, but with the kind of service I do some homework and settle on a Polaris RZR 900 XP. Seriously cool desert cabbie.
IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Now what to do about the DS bike, Leo says geta BM, but he has done enough riding on BM’s for both of us, Stoetie says get a  990R. So I go do my homework and decide the 990 is the way to go. I order the bike and within 10 days it lands here straight from the factory in Austria.
As per Stoetie, it comes delivered with KTM accessory 1536 (Trailer).
IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

I am so Chuffed with my new machine and prepare for the first outing, GPS fitted, suspension setup, FMF fitted, remapped, tyres checked. All good to go. I head down the road do a quick 35 km to settle everything in. Lovely.
Man what a nice ride, goes like stink, power wheelies en elke ding. Nice seating position, like it was made for me. I am in heaven.
IMG_1083.jpg

I get this feeling of euphoria as I cruise along and feel this nice warm feeling coming over me like I pissed my pants, only to realize that it is my foot covered in oil. I get home and have oil all over my driveway.
IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Now it’s back onto KTM accessory 1536 (Trailer), as I cannot find the cause of the leak, and I am not stripping a brand new bike to find their fault.

So sad as I am, I am not yet convinced that I should not give up on Yamaha.