Ok, I bit the tar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwaggie

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 250
Wednesday last week we went through Baviaans ...... Thursday went into Patensie to refuel and check tyre pressure etc.  We then left Patensie and hopped on the N2 to Tsitsikama - doing 120km/h.  About 30kms from Tsitsikama the bike suddenly had a life of it's own.  Took off across the road and into the yellow lane on the oppisite side.  Managed to pull her back and ended up again in my own yellow lane.  Pulled her back again and ended up again in the oncoming traffic's yellow lane.  Pulled her back again but had a car coming so had to pull her hard to miss the car and dropped her on the middle line!  Luckily for me mostly bruising and a couple of nice "roasties" -  gloves are in tatters but only one tiny mark on my one finger.  Boots are badly scuffed but only bruising on my feet.  Jacket is torn but only roasties underneath.  Helmet is badly scratched as I landed face and left shoulder down ......  I was very lucky!!!

Once we had the bike off the road, new tube in, new clutch on etc we decided to check the tyre pressure in the other bikes - all above 3 bars where only 1.8 bars was put in!  Anyone going through Patensie and using the air at the Caltex Garage PLEASE double check your pressure as we now believe the equipment there is faulty!

Different people have told me I should have done different things - what is the correct thing to do in a blow out.  I just tried to hold the bike up as long as possible and let the bike slow downon its own as something kept saying don't touch the brakes!  - and miss any oncoming traffic.  Didn't think of anything else at the time but is there anything else one can do?