Please help: XT660 Surge problem - what do I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirageF1AZ

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Hi guys

My 2008 XT660R is driving me nuts!  The surge when riding on constant throttle in traffic (or attempting to!) is really spoiling what is otherwise a fun bike.
I know a lot has been written about this already; believe me: I've read it all.
And perhaps that's the problem, because I'm now utterly confused.
This morning it cut out once again on closed throttle in traffic at a most inopportune moment, so here I am giving it one more try...

What do I do?  Some swear by Kev's mod, but with shipping from Australia one might as well rather look into a 2nd hand Power Commander (which other people say is the ONLY answer.)  Then there's the mod where one puts an adjustable resistor on the air temperature sensor, which I did with zero effect, because apparently it works on some ECU's and not on others.  And then there's the BoosterPlug, for which I believe one of our members is a distributor.  But that only works in the open loop, and some technical explanations say the problem is with the closed loop being too lean (compared to the open). 
I see Kev has the following to say about the ECU: "2007 to 2008 ECU, part number on ECU 5VK-8591A-10: introduction of the O2 sensor with single spark, altered ignition timing & an increase in idle speed. Bike surges A LOT, the only way to fix this is with a fuelling device + Kev's new 2012 O2 eliminator mod or Dyno Jet O2 Optimizer mod. Adjusting the CO up makes the bike cut out at times & does not help with the surging."

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying any of the above is right or wrong - I don't know nearly enough about these things.  I'm merely trying to show how confused I am at the moment!

So does anybody have any advice on what to do?  Does anybody have a +/- 2008 model for which you have found a fix?  Even just a 75% better fix will already do!  Isn't there a way one can try before you buy, before spending all the money only to be disappointed again?

Many thanks and sorry for the rant!

Dirk