Poor service from Northside BMW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettp

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
A good mate of mine purchased 2 GS650's from Northside BMW...... He is planning on doing a trans Africa with his wife on these 2 bikes, however he has experienced much frustration regards services on his bike.  Listed below (pls read from the bottom upwards) is the complaint and subsequent bull S@#t from the dealer in question:

**********************************************************************************

Hi Stacey

You are listed as the dealer principle at Northside on the bmw website. I have seen that you have read each one of my emails but you havenâ??t bothered to respond when you can clearly see that there is some sort of nonsense going on here. In the last week I have told this story to at least 15 biker mates of mine, 7 of which ride BMWs and we have all decided that if this is how its going to be, ie treating customers like absolute sh..t, and coming up with stories, then we will sell our BMs and go for KTM or some other brand. Of course a loss of 7 bikers seem insignificant to BM because you are a global brand and what are 7 bikers in the greater swing of things. If you read many of the statistics relating to 1 unhappy client, the ensuing result can be paramount when you look at the nock on effect. But be that as it may, the minimum I expected was accountability for the lack of oil and an apology, but your dealership doesnâ??t seem to care, and Shane most definitely doesnâ??t. this is not the first issue I have had with his unfriendliness and unwillingness to assist.

I was SERIOUSLY considering bringing the 650 back and buying the 1200 Adventure but I can see, even from your side as the person who takes the responsibility for your dealership, is not interested.  Itâ??s the normal story of sweet talk a customer until the purchase is made, thereafter ignore him. I really hope that enough people will boycott your dealership until there is an improvement in customer service.

Regards,
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: 06 January 2009 04:24 PM
To: 'LEVEY SHANE (Northside Motorcycles)'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: Complaint: No oil F650GS
Importance: High

Hi Shane,

After purchasing 2 bikes from you I expected a bit more friendliness on your part as opposed to the responses I got from you today.

I have not heard so much nonsense in all my life. If what you have said below is true, please explain why the Dakar is always showing the correct level irrespective of the temperature/usage of the bike, and why it is that I added 2L and went for another ride, came back and checked it and it was still fine??? Not overfull.

What you have suggested is that I look into the tank â?? see the bare metal, not a single drop of oil, take it out for a ride for 40km, then realise there was nothing, seize the engine and call you who will then tell me I didnâ??t check the oil. Absolutely insanely ludicrous.

The owners manual CLEARLY states that the bike must not be ridden if the oil level is low and it says nothing about heating the bike up, running it for 40km and then checking. Idling it I could understand. But if you read my initial mail I said I had taken it for a ride and on my return I saw that it was BONE DRY.

Face it. You guys forgot to replace the oil but wont admit to it. I just got home, checked it again and it is exactly where I left it â?? identical to the dakarâ??s oil level. I have run the engine until the fan comes on from the heat and guess what â?? it is still at the max line where I filled it up to.

And to think that I was considering buying the 1200GS from you guys. I guess not now.

Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: 06 January 2009 11:20 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: Complaint: No oil F650GS

Hi Craig

In the way you explained you checked the oil before you went out riding you have to check the oil once
youâ??ve done 30-40km then you will see the oil,

I must be honest I doubt that there not be oil in it as James my workshop foremen did it himself, please read his 
response and re-check oil asap .

Regards 

Shane Levey
Sales Manager
Bmw Motorrad
Northside Motorcycles

Sent: 06 January 2009 10:37 AM
To: LEVEY SHANE (Northside Motorcycles)

Good morning shane,I have read the mail sent to me and need to stipulate that

A: the f650 gs\dakar motors that we receive are the 37 kw motors.each and every engine that is assembled in germany may have the same components but as you know no engine is the same, EVER.

B: the above said engines need to be at operating tempreture before the oil is to be checked.that means that at least 40km of riding before leaving the oil to settle for a further 5 minutes and then check against the markings on the dipstick as per the owners manual.

I can guarantee that if the correct procedure is followed the 650gs will be way overfull and may end up bursting the oil tank.

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

James long

Sent: 06 January 2009 09:31 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: EXNER STEVEN (Northside Motorcycles); LONG JAMES (Northside Motorcycles)

Hi James / Steve

James please get in contact with Craig regarding his bikes that we can get these bikes in and sorted out asap please?

Regards

Shane Levey
Sales Manager
Bmw Motorrad
Northside Motorcycles
Sent: 05 January 2009 08:26 AM
To: LEVEY SHANE (Northside Motorcycles)
Subject: Complaint: No oil F650GS
Importance: High

Hi Shane

Compliments of the season to you.

Since you repaired the 2 bikes for me in Nov, the F650GS has not been used at all as my wife as been waiting for an offroad course. The Dakar has been used extensively.

I took the F650GS for a ride yesterday and just as I was about to leave I thought I had better check the levels of everything and to my absolute shock, the F650GS had NO oil whatsoever from when you guys drained it to fix the leak for me. It was bone dry. I put in 2 litres of Shell SAE 15W-40 into the engine (as per the books recommendations).

I think that this is shocking and horrifying that you guys did not pick this up when you serviced/repaired the bike. Imagine I had trusted your workmanship and gone out without checking the oil that you had just done!!

On another note the Dakar started overheating on a trip back from Grobblersdal in December. It seemed the fan was not working but I cant be sure. I have cleaned everything out and it seems it may be working again. Do you think the thermostats are gone?

One last thing â?? I noted in the book that you get a 25kw model and a 37kw model. I had the assurances from you that both bikes had the same engine however the F650GS goes over 180km/h and has no problem pulling and the Dakar battles to get 150 throttle fully open â?? any logical reason if these 2 engines are the same?

I look forward to your speedy reply.

Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxx