Prepping F800GS for long trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsislen

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Friends,

at risk of getting flamed for such a newbie questions...have looked through this site as well as ADVRider forums and surely there are many discussions on this but can't find one which is pretty comprehensive. Am getting ready to travel from Pretoria to Djibouti and need some pretty broad advice on bike prep. I have a 2011 F800GS which is basically stock. Specifically:

1. Rims/Tires. I've seen the any discussions on this. But if money is not an object, should I change rims to run tubeless?
2. Spares. Have seen LOTS of discussions on the perfect toolkit but could use serious advice on what spares to bring. What is notoriously problematic for the F800GS? If money and space were not an issue, what would be the ideal package of spare parts?
3. Suspension. Should I upgrade the suspension or will the stock suspension be sufficient? If so, any advice? Bulletproofness is pretty important.

Will have a lot more questions over the coming weeks as things get put in motion. I'm GREATLY appreciative for any guidance on these first few questions.

David (Pretoria)