Prepping your Transalp for a long trip for noobs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Muzzy

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
There are a couple of guys I know who have had transalps for a while now but they have not ventured into going for a long trip yet. this is what these bikes are made for !! So I  thought I would just go through the basics of getting the bike prepped for a long trip.

the one I am about to go on will be about 4000km over approx. 10 days.

When it comes to prepping the actual bike I don't leave anything to chance, we all know that a service on these bikes is at around the 6000km mark, so if you are going on a 4 - 6k trip you are basically riding the bike from service interval to service interval, so do everything before the trip, don't expect to be finding parts along the way, it is a waste of time and money, rather have  confidence in your bike now.

I always have a major service done before a long trip which includes

Oil & oil filter

Air Filter ( I have fitted a DNA filter to my bike so it just needs a wash and oil, I used to have a K&N but I find for offroad and dust the DNA is a better filter.. each to their own. I don't recommend using the std OEM filters, they clog up too quickly )

If I know I am doing a long ride I have all the fluids replaced in the bike, this includes new brake fluids and coolant - you may not find it 100% necessary but I do it because I want the cooling system flushed and checked as well as breaks checked, for this trip I also put on new break pads.

I also had valve clearance done, now on the 700 clearances are a bitch, you have to take everything off the bike, bash plate, crash bars.. everything, it is a hell of a job to get to those valves and bank on about 5 hours labour, the good news is once they have been done you will probably never have to do it again, they are supposed to be done on the 1000km service but unless you are 100% sure they have been done I would make the effort to have them done so you know.

Tyres.. I always put on a fresh set of rubber on the bike, it is not always required but I always do. The bike is going to be loaded and you are going to be far from home, I want to feel safe knowing that I have a new heavy duty tube in the rear as well. My tyre of choice for a long trip which will be at least 50% off road is the Mitas e07 but in the past I have also had great trips on the Mitchelin T63 you can't go wrong with either or whatever your particular choice is, in any event never underestimate the power or fresh rubber.

The front headlight on the Transalp is not exactly a beam of sunlight at night, not that I ever intend to ride at night when on long trips but I have been caught out before, so for this trip I had spotlights fitted, it is well recommended if you have the extra budget, they make a massive difference especially during twilight hours.