R100/7 Gen Light Question??? (Solved)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wezzz

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys,

As some of you might know, I am at the end of a custom build of a 1982 R100T.

I spent the last two weekends finishing off the electrics & I have a small problem.

I am well aware that the BMW Gen-Light cannot run off an LED bulb & that it has to be a filament bulb to 'agitate' the charging circuit.

Here's my problem:

I installed a universal style speedo (with LED warning lights). It has Neutral, Indicator, Hi-Beam & Oil pressure 'idiot lights' ... they are all working fine except the Oil pressure coz the switch is dead needs to be replaced.

I ran a separate filament bulb for the gen-light, but the light doesn't switch off after 1500RPM like is should... it just stays on!?

Now... the Neutral, Oil Pressure & Gen light all shared the same POSITIVE wire from the old speedo harness, and obviously they all have their own NEGATIVE wires (so all 3 wires are soldered into the same wire on the OEM harness side)

Would sharing the same POSITIVE wire for all 3 lights cause the Gen-light to stay on all the time, or should I start checking things like Earthing, rotors, voltage regulator etc 1st???