R1150GS Gearbox / Clutch noise??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eye-on-Afrca

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi guys, hope someone more clever than I when it comes to wrenching can supply a bit of sound diagnosis?
My '00 R1150GS started developing a "bearing / gear noise" coming from the gearbox / clutch area and it kept on slowly getting worse. It has just on 115 000km on the clock. ???
Symptom: if I'm in neutral with the engine running the sound goes away completely when I pull in the clutch lever. It comes back when I release the clutch lever. I made a few calls and most said it was the clutch diaphragm spring getting weak and rattling after I've released the clutch lever. Obviously if I pull in the clutch lever its under tension and vice versa so that theory makes sense.
I stripped the bike down and removed the gearbox. Clutch parts look normal (clutch, friction and cover plates).
If I hand-turn the input-shaft of the gearbox (sitting on the workshop bench) it doesn't turn smoothly but gives a tight-to-loose-to-tight feedback as it rotates? Is this normal? The output shaft rotates smoothly in all gears and hand-turning the shafts doesn't produce any bad noises but I guess I would have to spin them faster to really hear something?? How do I know whats faulty?

THANKS!