R1200GS Cheap Front Tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull Grackle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
When I bought a used 2007 R1200GS with 21 000 kms. last year the seller replaced the front tire as part of the deal. Naturally he selected the cheapest 80/20 tire available, a Maxxis Presa Detour. Fine with me. I thought I would burn it up in a few thousand kms. and then put on a "real" tire. Unfortunately the &^#$%%^$ thing wouldn't die. I finally replaced it the other day at 40 000 kms. with another 1 000 kms. or so of tread remaining. That works out to 19 000 kms. or at least 10 000 kms. more than I expected.

I live in the Robertson area and use the GS for occasional trips into Cape Town but spend most of my time on gravel roads in the Karoo. I would guess my split is 50% gravel roads and 50% tar. As a former sport bike rider I ride pretty aggressively on tar and found the Maxxis to grip very well in corners with no tendency to push, either on throttle or off. On bumpy corners it tracks well with little or no "stuttering". Of course the rearward weight bias on the GS doesn't load the front tire excessively and the Telelever front end can mask the shortcomings of a mediocre front tire. That said, I was still surprised at the tire's relatively high level of street competence.

As a novice dirt rider I have only two criteria for a good on road/off road front tire: how quickly and controllably it stops the bike on gravel or dirt and how well it tracks through a corner with loose gravel. From my limited perspective it works pretty well in both situations. I have since moved up to Mitas 07's front and rear and am very pleased after a thousand kms. or so. I just hope the Mitas rear lasts longer than the Heidenau K60 that it replaced (10 000 kms.).

I would recommend the Maxxis front as an economical choice for the GS rider who lives in an urban area, rides a lot and occasionally ventures onto gravel roads. I haven't checked recently but I presume the Presa is still available at a very reasonable price.