Rebuild - Is it worth it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdDog

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Up until recently, my little joy has served me well. That was until 120000. First item to go was the clutch which has just been fixed, unfortunately when all the bits and pieces were but back together they noticed that the sprocket spindle (drive) whatever it's called, is damaged. This means that the engine has to be opened up.

Now its anyone's guess what's going to be found once the engine is opened. This is my dilemma. The bike's paid for. I like the bike. I've also shopped around for a replacement but just can warrant the prices at present.  I don't want to get into debt.

Seeing that the motor is going to be opened up and the high mileage on the bike and that the rest of the bike is still in good nick. Is it worth rebuilding the motor back to zero hours knowing that I'm in for a large bill, +-35 grand in total. Or sell the bike as spare part seeing that I'm already out of picket of about 7 grand for the clutch replacement plus other odds and ends.