Refreshing brake calipers and discs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Aprilia 650 Pegaso
So recently I handed my suspension bits in for a service with MP Custom Valve. Seeing as there is quite a bit more corrosion on the shock shaft and fork sliders than anticipated, I decided it would be a good time for maintenance on the front wheel and brake system.
After having taken everything apart and inspecting it I have noticed a fair amount of corrosion in the caliper pistons. The concerning bits would be the corrosion running along the outside edge; the bit that slides over the seals. I flattened those down with some water paper, but I'm not sure if that will ultimately be enough. The pistons are currently sitting in a bath of evapo-rust so will see how it looks later and make a call.
My question is just what to do to prevent the rust forming on the inside hollow of the piston? Would something like copper compound be a good enough seal or is there something a bit better to use? Is it possible to have the pistons rechromed, which I think would be the best option ultimately.

The rest of the work to be done is really just cosmetic. Sanded the discs clean of surface rust, and re-sprayed with some existing wheel paint I happened to have. Cleaned all the bolts and sprayed with a cold galvanising zinc spray. Have yet to see how that turns out long term.

And because threads are useless without pictures:

Attachments

• FrontWheel_Refreshed.jpg
    FrontWheel_Refreshed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156