RIDING TIPS VS TRAINING VS RIDING YOUR OWN BIKE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Have just on 40 years worth of riding experience , or should I say riding bikes for just on 40 years , commute by bike everyday , ( HATE TRAFFIC ) And will say never to old to learn . i Enjoy the Mototrek videos posted here and will watch any video on rider training , nice to know that you are doing things the right way .
Now I have been on a road-bike for most of my life , can ride a off-road bike , not big on jumps , and do ok with my quad . Then I decided that a adventure bike is the next best toy, and I love it , we go a a long ride at least once a month and have been away every long weekend this year on the bike (1190 KTM) Only problem is it a tad tall for me , no problem riding but tip toe when stopping  :eek7: .
Back to the videos , I must admit some of the things Brett Tkacs says and does with a bike is just amazing , not sure if I can do it , watched him ride his BM , in a rocky river bed , yes it was all over the place , but he was in control all the time and made it look easy to say the least . Now I dont need to be on his level , but would like to be in control of my bike in a bad situation, And I think I tend to tense up , in stead of relaxing , and I know its wrong because if you tence up you cant turn the bike , your arms are fighting one another , and in turn they are fighting your body . So you are going to say , you know this why you doing it wrong ? I think it is the risk of dropping and damaging my bike that id the cause , I dont want to damage my bike , and would rather have a stop and drop than a all fall down at speed , and when the dust settles you find the bike id stuffed , broken fairing , screen ext . not keen on this idea .
As the saying goes practice makes perfect , and I have seen from his videos , Brett uses every opportunity  to hone his skill . I try to do this as well , run the theory in my brain as I negotiate corners , look up , look ahead , scan the road , all this in slip seconds , and I do ok , can ride at a fair pace so happy until the paving ends , then its clenched ass cheeks  :imaposer: . the marbles , make the bike feel  like its not in proper contact with the surface , again I manage but at lower speed ....
Long story I know , but going for a training course is expensive , and you need to use your own bike , now if I had a off-road bike to practice with and sharpen up my skill and then try this on the bike bike will it work? Then maybe add weight onto said offroad bike , and do more training .
I just dont want to damage my KTM . There I said it , like my bikes to be in good nick . and wont compromise .