Rift Valley - Any advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offside

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
After finances put paid to our plans of doing this trip at the end of 2010, we are at the stage of planning where it looks good to happen come December.

As this is the longest trip that my wife (Wildside) and myself have ever undertaken we are open to any advice from those of you who may be familiar with the areas that we plan to travel through.
We are both on Yammies, mine a 660 Tenere and Wildside on her trusted 600E. Both bikes are in good condition and we have fitted a long range tank to the E so hopefully we will avoid carrying fuel for most of the trip.

The basic plan is to trailer the bikes to southern Malawi and start the ride from there, following the shoreline north into Zambia and into Tanzania to the eastern shore of lake Tanganyika up into Burundi and Rwanda, following the lakes north into Uganda as far as Murchison falls, which will be our turn around point.

The homeward loop will be into Kenya following the eastern shore of lake Victoria down into Tanzania and south through the Serengeti and then back into Malawi where hopefully a bakkie and trailer will be waiting.

We will be under the usual time and money constraints so it will be camping for 90% of the time, using better accommodation only when weather forces us to and finances allow

Our first priority is to find safe storage for the buckie and trailer in the Monkey Bay/Cape Mclear area. So once again any and all ideas and advice on road conditions, things not to miss, things to try and miss or useful contacts would be welcome.