Sani Lodge to Katsi Dam - Help planning trip please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswood

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Hi

We are planning a trip to Sani in September.  Please can I have some advise in regards to the section between Sani Lodge Backpackers and Katse Dam. I have read numerous reports with varying routes and time frames for the section between Sani and Katse Dam.

2 x KTM 990 / 1 x BMW 800GS / 1 x KLR 650

We will leave the backpackers very early and make our way up to Sani Pass.  A quick stop for refreshments and then on to Katse Dam.

From what I was able to gather, the village chief road is technical and a very long ride.  The question that I have is how technical is this section?  We are all proficient on the gravel and do not foresee any issues relating to the route, however is it correct that the section between Sani and Katse via the village chief road is a +- 8 hour trip?  Is this section suitable for adventure bikes or is this a "plastics" section only. 

If we leave the backpackers early in the morning, will we get to Katse before dark?  From my estimation, we will have from +- 11:00 to 17:00 to make Katse from the top of Sani.

By opting for any of the alternative routes, will we miss an great adventure or any scenery that we will regret in the future?

Are there any specific waypoints that we must see?  If you are able to assist with GPS co-ordinates for these waypoints please.

Any advise will be appreciated in regards to the various routes.  Is the stone throwing still a problem on this section?

Thanks

Carel