Scala Rider Sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gryshond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I bought my first Scala Rider a few years back and it worked with my Blackberry phone of the time, then I got a new Blackberry and it didn't work any more. Scala told me that their all their headsets except the most expensive one are not A2DP compliant. I was understandably miffed but blamed myself for not doing proper research.

Late last year I bought a new Scala Rider Q2 Pro, I checked that it was A2DP compliant and I paired it with my Blackberry Torch before paying. Of course Blackberry has gone down the tubes so I changed to Samsung Galaxy Note 2, no prizes for guessing what happened next. Yes you've got it, Scala is not compatible with Android phones. Well I guess it must be my fault for expecting Scala to support one of the most popular cellular operating systems in the world.

So now I have the new GS with the BMW Navigator IV, and I though my problems are solved as the phone syncs with the Navigator and the headset syncs with the navigator so I am sorted. Yes you guessed it, the Scala also doesn't work well with the Navigator (which is just a Zumo 660 with other branding). Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. It will start working and then after a few minutes it will just stop.

The reason for my post is just to warn you, if you are considering a Scala. Be very sure it works with what you have (phone/GPS etc.) and remember that they are always behind. When the industry standard had already been A2DP for a few years they were still selling non compliant headsets and now that Android has taken the market by storm they are still not supporting it. Clearly their R&D is a few years behind everyone else so as soon as you get a new phone/GPS you will probably be screwed.