Screwdrivers - JIS vs PH vs PZ vs ISO8764

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimbingTurtle

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Afternoon all..
As many know, JIS screwdrivers have been hard to come by in SA, and are not even that easy internationally.....

I have spent some time in the last months contacting various manufacturers to try and source the correct JIS B 1012 standard tools, and it seems that the JIS standard was de-listed in 2008 and superseded by DIN ISO8764-1, ISO8764-2 and ISO8764-PH - all covered by ISO8764 - this means that the newer and better brands of screwdrivers are automatically made to the ISO8764 standard, and in appearance are the same as the JIS screwdrivers of old.

In addition it would seem that the "dot" normally associated with JIS on the screw-heads has also been discontinued.

So far I have found King Tony and Kennedy to be manufactured to ISO8764, and I am still waiting for WERA to confirm - the importers in SA are waiting for the factory to confirm....

Now, there are still manufacturers making to JIS standards, so you could probably still source, but it would appear that the need is diminished...

Wikipedia list this as well - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#JIS_B_1012

Hope this helps!