Scuba Steve Gets Married- The 6 Province Tour.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrichardson86

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
In January my older brother Steve (also known as Scuba Steve) decided to get married in the Western Cape. It had been a while since my last big trip on the old girl so I decided to take some leave from work and do a little trip around South Africa on the way to this awesome occasion.

The Bike: 1982 BMW R80 G/S

Distance Covered: +- 4500km (distances may vary due to a lack of a working tripmeter)

Amount of fuel used: F&% knows.

Amount of oil used: More than the amount of petrol used.

Awesomeness Level: EPIC!

The route:

December%2BTrip.JPG

The bike:
DSC_0244%5B1%5D.jpg

The rider:

DSC_0263%5B1%5D.jpg

I'll let the pictures speak mainly for themselves.

Day 1: Melville to Wepener- Distance 465km

This was a relatively boring day riding the black snake down to Wepener. Why Wepener you ask? Well there's an amazing guest house there called the Lord Frasers which transports one back to the days of yesterday. It is owned by "someone"who I met many years who runs prime beef into Lesotho. This place therefore has amazing steak, their fillet you can pretty much cut with a spoon. Any way the owners were away this time which meant that the service was a bit disappointing but all in all a good stop over if you're in the evening. I met up with a fellow Wilddog named Ryno and his lovely missus and a great many beers and bottles of wine were had. A good start to the trip!

All packed and ready to roll:

IMG-20131018-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20131222-WA0001.jpg

A few pics from the road:

DSC_0208%2B(2).jpg

A Free State storm which resulted in me needing my bright yellow BMW Minion rain suit

DSC_0207%2B(2).jpg

Capture.JPG

Lord Fraser Guest House

IMG-20131222-WA0017.jpg

A few beers after a long day on the stoep

IMG-20131222-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20131222-WA0011.jpg

Day Two: Wepener to Cathcart- 350km

There is not much to write about this leg. Afternoon waking up a little bit tender and saying cheers to Ryno I headed for home Wanting to get there and see the folks I just took the N6 and gunned it. The old girl performed well and got me there in one peace!.

Days in Cathcart and surrounds.

A lot of people have a look of disbelief when I say I love going back to Cathcart. This is usually after they go: "Where the f%$# is that?!" This small farming town and the surrounds has some of the best riding I've come across in South Africa (and Ive done a fair amount). The terrain varies from the highlands around the Hogsback area to lowveld areas of the Kei River valley. The roads are not maintained very well, which to some is a problem, but to me simply adds to the riding pleasure. Having ridden almost every road in the district in the last 12 years or so, I can honestly say that each ride is enjoyable and provides a new experience. If you are looking for a completely different riding area, I suggest giving this area a go. There is accommodation in the town but  I would recommend staying in on one of the numerous guest farms in the area. You wont regret it.

Below is a day trip I did whilst I was there. This is my favorite route in the area as it gives you a massive amount of diverse terrain and the roads are a bit challenging. If you arent comfortable on the dirt I would suggest going with someone. The route takes you from Cathcart down the Nico Malan pass, through Seymour (a town which is dying to be restored to its former glory) up Mitchells Pass (do not ever be tricked by your GPS into going up or down this pass with anything but a 4x4 or DS you will be stuffed!) through Hogsback, down the Keikammahoek Pass through lush rainforests and then through to Stutterheim or King Williams Town via a few passes the names which now escape me.

Total distance: +-250 kms of heaven on earth.
Awesomeness Level: Total
Number of breakdowns: 1 due to charging issues
Number of friendly helpful locals found: Plenty!

The route

hogsbackG.JPG

DSCN1875.JPg

The old hotel in Seymour hinting at a glorious past. Interestingly people used to travel from all the surrounds to this hotel as their breakfast and Sunday lunch was legendary. Now it is derelict, except for a few rats and nesting dinosaurs

DSCN1877.JPG

DSCN1880.JPG

Signs of a once extremely wealthy and productive citrus region.

DSCN1881.JPG

DSCN1894.JPG

They're being serious. Give yourself about an hour or so to do the route. It can be tricky especially if there has been rain:

DSCN1879.JPG

See! 1km of axle twisters, dongas and massive rocks followed this. At the end I met a little guy coming down in a Toyota Runx as his GPS had said this was the quickest way to Grahamstown. Let's just say I told him to turn around in no uncertain terms.

DSCN1900.JPG

Lunch break under a tree at a dam

DSCN1907.JPG

Hogsback mountain in the background- named for its resemblance to the mohawk on the back of a wild pig.

DSC_0230%2B(16).jpg

DSCN1913.JPG

My sandwich got buggered! Lots of places in Hogsback to grab a tasty morsel though.

IMG-20131227-WA0006.jpg

View out towards Fort Beaufort and Grahamstown. If you're in the area do yourself and favour and visit The Edge which has a spectacular view of the valley and looks down onto Mitchell's Pass.

DSCN1925.JPG

After traversing the commercial pine forests  you are greeted by lush indigenous rain forests and waterfalls. A welcome treat on a hot December's day. The water is drinkable and makes for a refreshing stop.

DSCN1934.JPG

DSCN1935.JPG

DSCN1943.JPG

Sandile Dam- a local water supply to the region.

DSCN1947.JPG

If you have a opportunity head to St Matthew's Mission. This old Catholic mission station was, I believe, one the schooling grounds for former President Nelson Mandela.

A few snaps from another trip to Seymour Dam with my parents. Very privileged to share my passion for motorbikes with my parents.

My folks- always happy to give some traveling advice  for riding in the area if you're there. Just ask for Dr Richardson.

DSC_0217%2B(4).jpg

Messing around with my old man.

DSC_0220%2B(7).jpg

Sharing a coke  and laugh with me mum. Firm advocate of keeping beers for a after ride treat! (call me a prude if you wish!)

DSC_0222%2B(8).jpg

Seymour dam- The life line of the once productive Katberg/Ciskei citrus region. Millions are being spent though to restore this lucrative farming region.

DSC_0225%2B(11).jpg

Stage 4: Cathcart to Calitzdorp- 698km

This was probably the second longest day of the trip distance wise. I generally try to keep my distances to the 550km max. This distance I ve found gives you a nice day ride and gives you time to stop and see things along the way, which forms the essence of touring in my mind. I have done the iron butt challenge (1200 kms in one day) and wouldnt recommend doing this. Its painful and dangerous.

Right after that side note back to the trip! Having spent a great few relaxing days with my folks in Cathcart, it was time to head down to the Western Cape for the Scuba Steve's wedding festivities. My Dad decided to join me on the 1150 whilst my Mom followed in the Hilux with things we needed for the wedding. Normally my Mom goes pillion as she loves touring but on this occasion we needed to bring down about 200 jam jars for the wedding.

This day's route was to take us from Cathcart down the Nico Malan Pass and through to Calitzdorp via Somerset East, Graaf Reniet, Willowmore. An alternative route and a much nicer route in my opinion is to go via Kirkwood, Steytlerville and Uniondale This takes you via the Langkloof and in December is much cooler. It also has less traffic.

This day was quite eventful as I ran out of petrol about 10 kms from Uniondale. We had realised after Willowmore on our the way to Oudtshoorn that we had miscalculated the distances. Fortunately my old man and mom had enough fuel and rode into the town to grab me some. On a side note if you do ride a BMW R80gs and run out of petrol detach the tank and turn it upside down. It should get you about an extra 500mls which will help a bit.

With that event over we carried on through to Calitzdorp. We stayed in a lovely self catering joint about 5kms outside Calitzdorp. The name escapes me now but there is a backpackers on the right hand side. I always use Safari Now when booking accomodation as it provides a useful guide and shows reviews of the places. Nothing worse than a long day of riding and arriving to a sh&% hole! Thats of course if you're not camping which is always best for an adventure.

I also made use of my BMW cooling jacket this day. If you're going to be doing any December trips through the Karoo area I recommend getting one.

Some photos from the day.

On the road

DSC_0239%2B(22).jpg

My pops getting some shade from the heat

DSC_0242%2B(25).jpg

No petrol- Uniondale
DSC_0243%2B(26).jpg

The road is comfortable outside Uniondale

DSC_0246.jpg

Helmet hair selfie whilst waiting for petrol. Fortunately it wasnt too hot.

DSC_0247.jpg

A braai to end the day. Great accomodation.

IMG-20131228-WA0000.jpg

The desolation and colours of the Klein Karoo always intrigue me

IMG-20131228-WA0001.jpg

My Pops testing out his new Gorrilla Pod. These are great tripods for motorcycle touring.

IMG-20131228-WA0002.jpg

The Karoo in the morning

DSCN1955.JPG

DSCN1953.JPG

Messing around (my dad's on the bog)

DSCN1956.JPG

Stage 5: Calitzdorp to Langebaan- 550kms

After a great nights rest in Calitzdorp it was time to head towards Langebaan. We decided to take the R62, which is in my opinion one of the best routes to go if you're in this area. Whilst the Garden Route does have its perks, I always find it a bit too busy during December and it is inevitably full of trucks. Another thing I find with the Garden Route is that it is almost always windy, with gusts coming off the ocean. On the R62 you are usually sheltered from this.  Some nice places to stop for a bit along route include Ronnie's Sex Shop (which to be perfectly honest is highly over-rated in my opinion but a necessary stop at least once), Barrydale which has some good places to eat and Montague. Just outside Montague there is an interesting fort that you can stop at if its not too hot.

On this day we decided to do a bit of a detour and ride Baine's Kloof which is a must if you're in the Wellington area. The pools there are amazing if they are not over-crowded. (Not advisable on a public holiday)

Any way a few pictures from the day.

Breakfast in Barrydale

DSC_0256.jpg

Baines Kloof

DSC_0258.jpg

Coke coloured pool in Baines Kloof

DSC_0259.jpg

The rentals

DSC_0261.jpg

Bels and I

DSC_0263.jpg

Me mum