Shaken, not stirred

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacoboos

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Riding in Hans Strijdom, Pta, yesterday with the wife at the back and as usual extra cautious, we approached this robot with Garstfontein Road. No need to rush so we slowed down to catch it green and pulled up behind this newish Nissan 1400 bakkie. Before I could put out my feet the robot turns green and we were on our way but then I noticed this old toppie in a Honda Ballade still approaching from the left, I had no idea what he was thinking, decided he can still jump the robot and BAM!, hits this bakkie right in front of us. Grab a handful and luckily managed to stop with centimetres to spare, was watching the mirrors at the same time for upcoming traffic but we were very fortunate! Itâ??s frightening to experience the quickness of such an event yet it took forever to finish, almost slow motion. The tyres screaming for grip, the metal crunching and bits and pieces flying all over, the grabbing of brakes and the realization that we might not make it and then the relief!

Shaken, like on a freezing morning, we gave our details and proceed with our trip, which perhaps was a good thing.

What could have been if we were at the front or even next to the bakkie when the robot turned greenâ?¦. Glad I could share this, be on the watch out at intersections, even if it appears to be fine.

To the family of the biker that died on the weekend, our sincere condolences.