Slumtown rider.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole_ZA

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hello to all,

Firstly, thanks for adding me to the forum. Now let's tell you all a bit about me, I'm 28 qualified mechanic, spent a couple of years at Volvo cars and now work with family in a little company called Border Bearings, yep you guessed it, I now sell bearings.

I'm good mates with Poundfoolish, who has recently also joined, coincidence? No.

He was the one who first truly got me into motorcycles, and the love (for motorcycles) has grown from early high school years into the addiction it is now.

I live in the coastal town of East London in the Eastern Cape.

Some of the bikes I've owned:

-Suzuki Bandit 400V (smashed bike, broke pelvis)
-Yamaha YZ125 (Many tumbles as one would on a dirt bike, but tore the ACL in my left knee, two scopes later and it doesn't bug me too much).
-Kawasaki KX250 (bought from above mentioned mate)
-KTM 300 EXC
-06 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Lowsided in a corner, I walked away very upset, close contender for favorite bike to the KTM300)
-09 Honda CBR1000RR (currently for sale to allow the purchase of my adventure bike)

I'm a fairly short person and can get around on a 2015 F800GS which a mate allowed me to ride recently, really put it through its paces but coming from a 1000cc Sportbike, it lacks umph and I'm worried it will leave me bored and hating it. The other contender is a Tiger 800, but with the stories of Triumph pulling out the country worry me, and that's even if the machine will do everything my head would want it to. I've ridden the R1200GS which had the power I want but with all the roads we have to explore, I'm certain I will drop it, often. I have a car and work from home so my bike is there or weekends or if I have an itch to scratch.

Any suggestions on what bikes I should consider would be appreciated.
Baby daughter on her way so budget is basically what I can sell the Fireblade for.

Thanks for reading.