So, I took the Ténéré for a spin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourens

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
At first I was very disappointed. I just got off my XT660R and immediately onto the XT660Z and it felt as if I got onto a 250!  :eek:  I suppose I have to remember that the R have stage 1 & 2 filters and pipes. The R is also some 10+ kg lighter and the Z was more than half full.  I still think as it is my R will run circles around the Z.  With only ±1750km on the odo I suppose the Z will loosen up some more in time.  I will definitely add some Akropovic pipes if I buy one, I don't like the whispering zorsts.

But, the Z feels very composed on the road. I found that chucking it into some twisties at speed the Z handles it better than the R. It is really an easy bike to ride. The suspension is great.  There is more torque at low rpm's but it runs out of breath very quickly. I could only manage 150km/h on the speedo.  From day one I could get 170km/h on my R.  At speed the screen does an excellent job and there was far less wind on my helmet than with my R fitted with a bigger screen.  It will be perfect for long distance touring.

The seating is also great and I'm sure my wife will love the pillion seating also. She hates the R seat.  :(

The Z is also higher off the ground and only my toes touches the ground where on the R I can put my foot down flat.  Off course the ground clearance will make a big difference because it is not difficult to get my R's tummy to rub on the ground. Luckily I've got that massive bash-plate on.  :D

I love the black rims also and the Z does have more of an attitude than the R when looking at them side by side.

I have not taken the Z on the ground but it is not as easy as the R to throw from side to side.  The extra weight makes a difference but I'm sure one can get used to that very quickly.

Would I buy one?  Maybe, maybe not. Here's my thinking.  What else can I buy in the same price/performance class?  Don't know.  Personally the KLR650 is not an option.  The DR650 seat is no good although I like the rest of the bike. I'm not into a GS of any size just because I don't like the manufacturer. KTM?  I like but to pricy for now and I'm not looking for a heavy bike. It leaves me with a VStrom and Trans Alp as alternatives. Both twins vs a thumper.  Both will out run the Z easily on the road.  Both have excellent if not better seating.  On dirt(on my level) they must be close, don't know.  I've never ridden one of the twins but definitely will soon.  Then I must decide what I'm looking for in a bike.  ::)