Soft luggage again - anybody in SA selling canvas side bags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpat

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Oi

My trusty AndyStrapz panniers are starting to show some wear and tear and I'm looking for replacement. I would order from overseas as I normally do, but dealing with Post Office lately has been hit and miss affair so before I go through the pain again I thought I will check here.

I know there are other threads here about soft luggage and few vendors who sell them, but nothing on offer fits what I'm looking for, which is:

Side bags for long distance spirited offroad adventuring. They must be simple and very tough, made from heavy duty tear resistant canvas material, must be able to carry at least 25 litres per side (I carry a lot of water/spare fuel on some of my trips), have the top loading rollie down design with no zippers on any such a thing that will break at first spill, must have overseat straps so that I can move them forward and not having them hanging off the back (my panniers sit on the passenger pegs - centralisation of mass in my experience makes huge difference offroad), and should have a square/rectangular shape - if rectangular the vertical size should be bigger than the horizontal to allow carry stuff lower.

I'm basically looking for something like this:

AndyStrapz Expedition pannierz: https://andystrapz.com/products-details.php?productId=226&productCategoryId=22&Level=1

Or Magadan from Adv Spec (without the inner liner - just adds to costs and I have my own liners): https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-magadan-panniers-mk2-1.html

Or Mosko moto - if they make version with straps over seat, I've sent and enquiry already: https://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/collections/moto-camping-luggage/products/backcountry-35-pannier-kit

GStry was selling exactly what I was looking for - I thing they were called Buffalo panniers, but doesn't seem to have a stock for last half a year.

Just for a contrast to show what I'm looking for - and this is not to diss in any way mentioned products, I'm sure they are great - here are the reasons why I'm not interested for my use in any stuff being sold in SA as far as I know:
- ATG bags & SW Motech bags: I do not love the squatty rectangular shape where they are longer horizontally than vertically as it bring the weight up and wouldn't sit well on the foot peg. I'm also looking for IMO much more wear and tear resistant canvas bags, rather than rubberised ones, that are waterproof only till the first proper spill and IMO can take much less abuse (I have holes in my new top rollie rubberized bags after just one of my trips just from abrasion on the luggage rack.
- U shaped ones: they do not provide sufficient capacity, sit too high for me, and are difficult to get into. I'm sure they are great for shorter trips, but not for me. I have already Giant Loop that I used once somewhere in my cupboard.
- Wolfman - like their shape, but do not not like that they are from the rubberised material, that is just not tough enough for me. I much prefer canvas and inner waterproof bag.

So if you know about somebody who makes them here, or are you willing to make them, please let me know. As you can see from the links above I'm willing to pay good money for them - I'm not looking for those bags to save money, but because IMO for my riding they are far superior to anything else.