• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

*SOLD* 2008 Honda XR650L Project or Parts for sale *SOLD*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raphaeltube

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
I've decided to let go of my beloved Honda XR650L.

Licencing & paperwork is in my name & up to date, but it's not in a ridable condition at the moment.
I was in the process of doing some repairs, but life happens, and it's been sitting in my garage in the same state for months now. I just don't make time for it anymore.

The main issues:
Some stripped thread in the engine. -needs heli-coils or rethreading.
Cracked frame under the seat. -needs welding and maybe reinforcing.

Current state:
Engine out of frame, & cylinder head off.

Some history:

Engine:
A valve seat came out (an exhaust valve) a long time ago, damaging the cylinder. Engine was then re-bored etc.
Sometime later the engine seized (from a misaligned O-ring at the oil pump, I think). Cylinder was then re-sleeved back to original size.
Most recently a valve seat came out again (the other exhaust valve this time), though luckily not causing much other damaged. I have already had a new seat fitted, but that's where the work stopped.

Frame:
The frame developed a few cracks, after which I stripped the bike, had the frame welded up, reinforced a bit, sand blasted, and powder coated red. Due to the reinforcing, the air box doesn't fit perfectly and is a bit of a hassle to get in & out now.
The current crack is in a different part. My plan was to try fix the new crack without totally tripping everything again, but that will be up to the new owner -you maybe  ;)

It goes like a bomb when it's running.
Clutch plates were replaced fairly recently.
It has a 23l Acerbis Tank (& old original tank too).
Carb has been rejetted.
I don't have any of the desmogging junk, it was removed long ago.

Asking R25k for the lot.
Offers for parts will be considered.
-will try post some pics soon.

*Edit:
The bike is at my home in Strand, so viewing/parts-picking best after hours.
It's done 42,000 km
I have a printed out service manual to go with it.
There is also a stainless steel luggage rack, but it's also cracked.
I think what I'll have to do is give it a couple weeks as a project bike before I sell off parts.
So let's say, Monday 5th August, if no one has taken the whole lot, I'll sell parts.

PM me for WhatsApp details.

-R