• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

[SOLD] VIO POV 1.5 camera kit for sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAmBer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I am selling my VIO POV 1.5 camera kit because I don't use it anymore and it's sitting around gathering dust.

This is not the HD version, but rather their second-generation SD camera with the wider (110deg) field of view. Two thing really set this camera apart from other helmet cams on the market:

1) It uses a global shutter, not a rolling shutter. You don't get the jello effect shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaDrS-yzIE&feature=related

2) Loop recording: you can tag and save videos AFTER the event happened. Never again get that sinking feeling after something cool just happened and you realised you forgot to press record on your GoPro or Stealth or whatever. And no need to carry a box of SD cards for a 14 day trip to record every moment. Also helps when editing so that you don't have to trawl through hours of boring video to capture the 20 seconds of interesting stuff. Very cool feature, and I think VIO is the only one to have it.

This kit is somewhat more professional than many of the cheaper helmet cams on the market. The bullet camera is machined from aluminium and has a quality feel. The optics are pretty darned good, apart from some barrel distortion near the edges of the frame. But hey, what do you expect with a 110-deg FOV?! The picture is crisp and colours deep. It's shock proof and there're rubber o-rings and seals on all interfaces making it dust and waterproof.

The recording unit is separate from the camera (which is small and can be positioned anywhere) and includes a screen so you can see what you're recording and review/delete while in the field. There's also a wireless remote if you just want to throw the recorder in your backpack or tankbag or something. The mic's inline on the cable between the camera and the recorder but it's also got an external mic input which I used for interfacing with the bike's comms system so you can get proper voice commentry from yourself and all your mates over the radios rather than just wind noise. Obviously you need a comms system for this to work (not included!).

What is included in this kit is the optional 12V power pack (R500 value), so you can power it off your bike without batteries. Otherwise it runs off AA batteries (which last for ~5hrs). The mounts consist of a triangular (velcro) helmet mount, a magnetic mount (affix to bakkie roof or bonnet etc or on either side of a piece of fabric or other thin, flat item) and the pipe clamp mount. The original vectro bits and cable management stuff is all brand new and unused. Everything fits in a neat carrycase which also holds the CD with the owners manual and some basic editing software and whatnot. All orginal cables and things are in there too.

It's perfectly functional, although well used. I lost a torx screw and replaced it with a normal machine screw on the recording unit. The lens, cables, plugs, switches and all working bits are like new.

I paid nearly R5000 for this little rig two years ago. Werner advertised his a year ago for R3000 (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=60745.0). I'll let this go to a dog with video or photo interests for R2000.

Attachments

• DSC_3267.jpg
    DSC_3267.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_3261.jpg
    DSC_3261.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_3262.jpg
    DSC_3262.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_3261.jpg
    DSC_3261.jpg