Speedo cable lube....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So whilst at the Gariep 1150 get together, Da Peeg mentioned that his speedo had behaved a bit funny on the way down, mine had been fine. 8)

But on the way back on two occasions it had been “fluttering” so I thought time to lube the cable, it had been ignored.

It’s a job that is easy, doesn’t take long, but just seems to be a mission to start…

I didn’t take pics stripping so let’s just see the reassembly (then you can just do it in reverse).

FIRST JOB, any cuts holes wear points in the casing seal with self fusing tape, or you are wasting your time. ::)

This is the top end of the cable… I put a small amount of oil in here and let it work its way down, some say its not a good idea as oil can work up into the speedo…oh well.

This is a terrible pic of the bottom end, it can be dry and sticky, put an electrical screwdriver in to turn it easily.. lube and rotate until it rotates freely…

Replace the bottom onto the drive first and tighten slightly, not too tight it can break…

Then attach the top, this way no torsion in the sheath.. now tighten the bottom properly, but not too tight. 8)

The cluster is held by these two plastic pins in rubber bushes and one bolt grease to assemble, it may be difficult to get apart use Q20 to lube it do not force it stripping.. 8)

The bolt..

Replace the front plate thing with its 2 bolts.

And refit the screen (big bolts at front small at back) and that is it..

Not much to it really is there.. but it may save you a cable or speedo drive gear.. :peepwall: