Starter not cranking in bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goggakop

Puppy
Reaction score
My 2002 Dakar have been standing for the last 4 months, last week I bought a new battery and eager to have it ready for Easter weekend I installed the battery. To my surprise it cranked well but would not start. I then left it for a few days and when I returned to try it again it would not even crank the engine, I traced all the know problems and eliminated all the usual 650 problems like, side stand switch, clutch lever switch and neutral switch. I removed the starter and cranked it on my work bench and even put it under load with a piece of timber. It cranks well but once I replace it in the bike it wont turn. I can hear the relay engaging and even shorted it with a heavy screwdriver but still the starter would not crank. I then connected a set of jumpers to the bikes chassis and the positive to the starter positive for a second or two, a lot of arching but no cranking, taking the starter from the bike again to the bench I tested it again, it works fine even under load. I refitted the starter and  rocked the bike in gear, thinking that the “sprag clutch”  might be stuck, then tried it again with the bikes own battery and again with the jumpers no luck. Anybody have experience of this or any clever thoughts or ideas?