Steering dampers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoorn

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
I had a bad fall with my Yamaha XT 660Z Tenere 5 km south of Kliprand on the R358 (R355) travelling from Loeriesfontein towards Springbok. I can't remember how fast I was riding, but suspect that it was in the region of 95 km/h. I was fortunately to escape practically unharmed, bad my bike is a write off (I received a quote for R75 750 for insurance purposes). The terrain where I came off was quite sandy and badly corrugated.

I cant remember noticing the bad condition of the road and suspect that I lost concentration and was absent minded.

All I remember is that the handlebars started shaking violently from side to side (I believe the call it a tank slapper) and realizing I am in trouble. The next I remember is getting up from the road with the bike lying a few meters away.

The bike was carrying approximately 145 kg (myself and the baggage). Front wheel pressure: 1,5 bar. Rear wheel pressure 2,2 bar (I asked the petrol attendant at Prince Albert Road to lower the pressure to 1,5 bar as well, but it was still 2,2 bar when I measured it after the fall). Tyres: Mitas E07. 

Firstly I would appreciated some advise on what could have gone wrong.

Secondly, will a steering damper, improved suspension or anything else help to ensure a safer ride.