Steering head bearings for XR250 Tornado: Where to find?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunnes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Dagse Dogs

My sister in law's Tornado's steering head bearings are shot. When I rode her bike around the block, I recognised the horrible feelig of not beeing able to turn the bike into a corner.

The bearing shop I use in Silverton, Pta for my BMW's bearings says I will only be able to get them at the dealer. I phoned Honda Menlyn and they gave a price of R750+ per bearing. Thats more than R1500 for a set of two.

I found the following details on this dedicated Tornado site: https://xr250tornado.wordpress.com/
So its Taper roller bearing of the following dimensions: 26x47x15mm. The codes can be BSSH902 or 22-1021.
The bearing shop doesn't recognise these codes.
Apparently, its the same bearings as the XR250R. For sale at Rocky Mountain ATV: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/all-balls-steering-stem-bearing-kit-p?v=844

The bearing kit on Rocky Mountain ATVMC is a taper roller bearing.
The one that I removed from the bike is steel ball bearings in a plastic casing. The top inner race is made by NTN. I suppose this is the type of bearing that Honda will sell me.
I am thinking of fitting a taper roller bearing as it would be much cheaper. Its the same type used on my BMW 650, just different dimensions.

Does anyone have a part number that I can use for these taper roller bearings or where to buy the ball bearing type ones for cheaper than R750 each?

[member=3423]blauth[/member] , can I please ask for your input? Thanks in advance.
[member=4859]superfoxi[/member] , could you shed some light please?

The kit for a XR250R sold in th

The kit for a XR250R sold in the USA:
index.php

The bearings I took off the bike:
index.php

e USA:
index.php

The bearings I took off the bike:
index.php

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• All Balls Steering Stem Bearing Kit for XR250R.jpg