Steering Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi Everyone,

So I noticed my bike is handling differently - the steering feels very unresponsive - almost "sticky". If I go around a corner it feels like the bike is fighting the turning of the handlebars. If I pull away it sometimes pulls me to one side or I almost need to wiggle the handlebar to get it to pull away straight. I have even gotten a few moments that felt like a speed wobble. Had my friend on the bike and he also says it feels wrong...

At first we thought it was a flat. The tyre pressure was low and the bike did seem to have a slow puncture. So I replaced the tube at my local FT (Pretoria). So no more tyre problems, but the bike still handles the same. What to do...

Well with most bike workshops closed, I managed to find Linex Yamaha open in Jhb today. The technicnian there took the bike for a short spin in the lot and also at first suspected a flat. He checked and saw that there was nothing wrong with the tyre. He pivoted the bike on its side stand and then showed me how the handlebar doesn't want to fall to the sides if nudged. It is not supposed to take a lot of effort for the bars to fall to the side. So in his opinion it is worn steering bearings.This makes sense to me ...

Okay, so I thought I will take it in to a workshop that can help me next week. But, my one mate thinks I should get a 2nd opinion because he thinks it can't make such a big difference...

(1) Any opinions / ideas? Have anyone had a simillar problem?
(2) I am going to cotinue riding since most workshops I asked today canonly help me in 2 weeks and two of my mates got adventurebikes this weekend. As luck would have it my bike gives problems  ??? But it is ridebly but crap. Is this wise?
(3) What could have caused this? Normal wear and tear? The bike has done 22K and I have mostly commuted with it and not been much off-road. The previous owner did 14K on it before I bought it...
(4) Any ideas for workshops that might be able to help me next week in the Pta area that know Yamaha 660z's?