Stranded alone in the desert...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Yesterday I had a mild epic in the desert south of Lima. I was riding my usual training route when my 450 EXC cut out crossing a dune field. Thought maybe it was just a little hot and gave it chance to cool off. I kicked my ass off to no avail. Eventually I realized I had no option but to walk out. Wishing anyone wanting to steal my bike from there the best of luck, I started out on my own little version of Lawrence of Arabia. Good thing I had a camel back. I started walking at around 4pm. Many of you know whats it like walking up dunes, and I quickly learnt that walking a bit further to avoid the steep sections is better in the long run. Three hours later I made it back to Pan American highway about 10km away, and eventually caught a taxi home. I was done after that.

Today, I went back to the guys from the local KTM on a borrowed quad to pull it out and the quad broke down about half way there.  ::) So we had to walk back to the highway again, jump on a bus back to the shop. At the shop some other bikers kindly offered to fetch both stricken vehicles with a 4x4 bakkie. It took us an hour to get to the bike, and another hour to get it out. Twice I thought we were going to get the bakkie irretrievably stuck but the driver was pretty good and got us out.

Now I need to go through the bike again, having just replaced the piston and done the valves a month ago. I think its time for something new.