Strange noise on F650GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvzyl

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi guys, I need some help.

Sorry if the topic is a bit vague but I'm not mechanically orientated and am not certain exactly where the noise is originating from.

Maybe I should start from the beginning. I bought my wife a used F650GS twin this week. It is a lovely bike, 2008 model with just over 32000 km on the clock.

Before buying it I took it for a test drive and did not notice anything strange. I trailered it home.
After my wife's first couple of rides she reported that there was a strange clanking noise from the bike. Initially I thought it might be something loose hitting agains her helmet but when I rode it the evening I also noted the noise, low down on the right hand side.
I thought it could be the chain that wasn't tight enough. I checked and could push the chain up to the the wear strip below the swing arm. I asked a friend to help me and we increased the tension on the chain. It can definitely not be too loose anymore.

It feels like it's a bit better but it's definitely still there. What can it be?
- Worn chain?
- Worn sprockets? I checked the rear sprocket, the teeth seems symmetrical and don't appear to be narrowing towards the tip. Can't see the front well.
- Something more serious?

How serious is this? Can I drive the bike to the nearest bike shop (closest is about 30km's away but it's not a BMW service agent, closest BMW about 150km away) or should I trailer it?

Thanks guys would really appreciate your comments and advice. As I said, when it comes to mechanical stuff I'm a bit dof...

Cobus