Strange "rotational" noise - 2014 F800GS 20 000km

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice. I recently got a puncture on the rear. After I replaced the tube and put everything back together, I noticed the chain was quite loose. I put it on the side stand, tightened it up to specification of between 35mm and 45mm play in the middle.

Now I have this strange rotational noise as if when the chain passes a particular point it makes a very slight grinding noise. The frequency of the noise increases as I speed up and slows down when I slow down (like when you have a stone wedged in your tire groove). I can't really hear it at high speed due to wind noise, but its evident at low speeds. When the noise occurs, I can even feel a very slight vibration in my foot pegs.

These are the things I've done so far:
- Check rear wheel alignment by comparing the spacers vs indicator lines on the swingarm. Both sides look identical.
- Properly cleaned the chain, sprockets, swingarm surface where the chain touches, front sprocket cover (boy that thing was gunked up!)
- checked for kinks in the chain

If I put the bike on the center stand and run it in 1st gear, I don't hear anything strange. Is this happening under load only? Is it maybe my tire?
Its all very frustrating.

Appreciate the help.