Submerging an F800GS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corp

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi guys.

I am curious about this happening and what damage is most likely to happen.

I have a 2013 F800. I did a muddy crossing yesterday which wasn't at all too bad or deep going through but the return journey was a different story.

I didn't follow the same line and suddenly things got very deep very quickly. I lost my balance when I hit the soft clay mud at the bottom and I almost bailed (went scuba diving) with the bike. I just caught it to keep it up enough and struggled my arse off getting it out there. Couple of times I was really worried this bike was getting too deep.

It made me wonder about the problems I could face if this was in Lesotho or some other place not 5km from home.

What is most likely to happen to the bike if it fell in, would I be able to get going again, would BMW insurance cover this...etc etc etc.

Any and all feedback (even concerns I may have not mentioned) would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My boots got lots of muddy water in them too (waterproof not watertight sadly). What is the best way to clean them?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4