Support Newbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I rode a hectic De Wildt about 2 weeks ago. Three fences, coconuts the works. Since i have been riding only a few months I am inexperienced. I fell over everything, into everything, couldn't do anything right. I even broke a rib on the ride. I was in pain constantly. But other than a few interesting swear words uttered to myself, i kept picking my bike up and carrying on, often with a smile still plastered on my face. A few of the guys (yes the 2 wild dog boys and a mate who has ridden with me before) were understanding, helpful and even complimentary of me. Big up to them. Then there were two other guys i have never ridden with before were ok on the day. Other than the odd comment about the fact i shouldn't have been there they were fine. I left the day bruised, broken and dead with what i thought was the understanding that most if not everyone who does De Wildt for the first time has a hard time.
Until a week later. I was road riding, chatting to the one guy who had ridden with us, and he had the night before made a comment that he would never ride with me again. ouch but i took it with a sense of humour. When he again in the morning said the same thing, it started getting personal. When he said it to another rider, a rider i look up to and admire not just as a rider but as a teacher, i thought ok now the guy is going to give him hell. I tried to explain that yes it was hell but pretty much every one has a mission the first time riding De Wildt. These two guys turn around and told me, that no they don't, hectically patronising. I was shocked, i should have throw something at them. these two guys trying for a penis measuring contest with a girl, had in one word and one comment shattered my hard fought for confidence.
Yesterday i went to R'n K and was second guessing myself with everything. It was hell. I actually was on the verge of throwing in the towel and just taking up ping pong or something. But my boyfriend eatmyktm, myself and two other wild dog members took a break to have a braai back at the car. But sitting there with them and chatting, riding with them and joking with them, the complete acceptance of me, good or bad, reminded me of the times I've ridden with other wild dog members. The complete support, the patience and the good nature of wild dogs that has always been shown. I think that i would not be the rider i am today if it had not been for Wild dogs. So thank you, to everyone, especially lightening and eatmyktm, for the patience, help and the safe and encouraging riding enviroment that you have created for newbies. You guys do not get enough credit.

Just remember if your not falling you not trying hard enough (at least thats my motto).